Computing is not only limited to laptops and desktops, but is also now done on mobile devices such as palm tops or even a cell phone. One thing which hasn’t changed from past 50 years is a typical “QWERTY” keyboard. Keyboard without keys can be referred to as a “Virtual Keyboard”. Virtual keyboard makes use of artificial intelligence and a sensor technology so that users can work on every possible surface. Virtual Keyboard contains a gadget which is of the size of a flashlight and eventually projects a light on the surface in order to acquire the image of a keyboard on that surface.
Virtual keyboard is a handy, small, easy to use and well designed application that turns out to be a perfect way out for different or existing systems for text input.
The main features of a virtual keyboard are copy/paste, platform independent, built in settings and language layout etc.
It contains same operation just like that of a normal text editor. It is easy to use and has user friendly interface.
Equipments used in virtual keyboard technique:
1. A sensor module
2. InfraRed (IR) light source
3. A Pattern Projector.
The Sensor module:
A sensor module operates just like an eye of Keyboard Perception expertise. It functions by tracing the fingers of the user in a 3D space and tracks the intended mouse movements or keystrokes.
Keystroke and mouse tracking information is then processed and then the output is given to the host device through USB or other kind of interfaces.
Infrared (IR) Light Source:-
The IR light source gives out the beam of the light which is infrared. This kind of light beam is planned in such a way so that it overlaps the area over which the printed image or keyboard pattern resides. This is made so as to shed light on the fingers of a user by the infra red light beam.
A pattern projector projects the figure of a keyboard or a mouse of a system. This image is projected on a flat surface. This image is in turn of a normal QWERTY keyboard with each control functions and the keys as that of a generic keyboard.
1. Using virtual keyboard, you can make use of it even in the plane or open surface (viz open air) or you can write with it on any underlying surface.
2. It is used in operation theaters as low noise is mandatory there.
3. The typing is simple as it is not required to be written with enormous force. This eases’ the strains on your hands and wrists.
4. Here no software driver is required as it is just a simple thing in a way as no reconfiguration is required.
5. It has a high battery life as it uses typical coin sized lithium battery which lasts for about 8 months long before actually needed to be replaced.
2. It is much costly ranging from $150 to $200.
3. The room where the projected keyboard is required should not be bright because the virtual keyboard should be properly visible.
2. Used in smart phones, emails, spreadsheet tasks, word processing and PDA’s.
3. Used in operation theatres.
4. Used as a Computer/PDA input.
5 used as a Gaming Control
6. Television Remote Control.
A Virtual Keyboard makes use of artificial intelligence and sensor technology to allow users to work on any platform as if it is a real keyboard. Virtual keyboards or Projection Keyboards claim to offer a compact keyboard with full blown QWERTY keyboard. Canesta is the most advanced kind of a class of the technology. Different virtual keyboards fit in with different and distinct typing styles. Thus Virtual keyboards makes typing easy, fast, reliable and nearly a pleasure to work with.